Deadly cobras are a thing in India. They seem to be everywhere, including this kid’s backyard. The boy, named Deepak, was doing what kids do in the backyard but suddenly found himself in a ghastly position: “The snake got wrapped around my hand and bit me. I was in great pain.”
OK, consider us dead at this point. Cobra. Hand. Bite. Pain. Poison! We’re done. But Deepak was just beginning.
“As the reptile didn’t budge when I tried to shake it off, I bit it hard—twice. It all happened in a flash,” he told the local media.
Instead of the snake bite killing him, Deepak’s bites killed the snake.
Realizing venom was circulating in his body, his family rushed him to a nearby primary health care center.
“He was quickly administered anti-snake venom and kept under observation for the entire day and discharged,” said Dr. Jems Minj, block medical officer.
As it happened—and did you know this was a snake bite option?—it was a “dry bite,” without venom.
“Deepak didn’t show any symptoms and recovered fast owing to the dry bite when the poisonous snake strikes but no venom is released. Such snakebites are painful and may show only local symptoms around the area of bite,” explained Qaiser Hussain, a snake expert.
By the way, Deepak lives in the Jashpur tribal district, which is also known as Naglok, which translates to “abode of serpents.” Why? Because it has over 200 species of snakes.
Nope. Just, nope.
But three cheers and raise a cold Kill Cliff Tasty Blood Orange Energize x Recover in Deepak’s honor. Badass, indeed.