Most people are convinced that eating fat will make them fat. That is the main reason why in the grocery stores there are so many low-fat products right? Everyone knows that fat has almost double the calories per gram than carbohydrates or protein, that is the reason, right?Well, not exactly. No wonder people think like that, as that is what big companies have marketed for decades. Let’s get one thing clear. One will gain fat thanks to excessive calories. The problem is that it’s very easy to overeat from carbohydrates, and it is very easy to get addicted to spikes in blood sugar during the day.
And here is where the fat comes into play. Fat makes all the meals more pleasing and helps you feel full. No wonder that the popularity of the high-fat keto diet has skyrocketed in popularity. Who wouldn’t want to enjoy bacon and lose fat? I know I sure want that.
What is the keto diet?
The ketogenic diet is a very low-carb, moderate protein and high-fat diet. The keto diet was developed during the 1920s for epilepsy treatment. Research has shown many positive effects on the human body, in addition to helping with epilepsy. The research also clearly shows that the keto diet is one of the most effective dietary approaches for encouraging fat loss.
So how does the keto diet work? Once you cut out the carbs from your daily menu and start focusing on fats, you will force your body to switch from using carbohydrates as a main source of energy to using fat as a main source of energy. Unlike most diets that focus on calorie restriction, the goal of the keto diet is to cut off your body’s supply of glucose from carbohydrates.
This metabolic state is called ketosis. In other words, once your body is in ketosis, it will use fats for energy, instead of glucose. And ketosis is the very state you want to be if your dream is to get rid of those excess pounds that have been bugging you.
In order to transition your body into ketosis and remain there, you need to go very low carb. The amount of carbs depends on whether you are just starting out or already fat-adapted. If you are just starting out, we would suggest to cut down your carbs as low as a maximum of 20 grams per day. Following this rule, you will be in ketosis usually during a week (this can depend on the individual).
Once an individual is fat-adapted, one can slightly increase the carb intake up to 30-50 grams per day, but from personal experience, I would not suggest that. Just focus on high-fat foods and you will feel awesome.
What can you eat on keto?
The one main reason why the keto diet is so effective and enjoyable is that of the keto diet foods. They are fulfilling and enjoyable. The low carb keto foods are not rocket science. You can get everything needed from the nearest grocery store.
Make sure to check out our printable keto diet grocery list, that you can take with you to your next grocery shopping trip.
Keto foods, in a nutshell, are fats and oils from natural sources, organic and grass-fed protein sources (if possible), above the ground vegetables and leafy greens, full-fat dairy products, nuts and seeds and stevia-based flavorings. Examples of keto foods are Heavy cream, mayonnaise, butter, oils, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, eggplant, broccoli, avocado, beef jerky, fatty fish, beef, cheese, greek yogurt and so on.
The reason why you should very precisely follow what you eat is that this will make or break your ketosis journey – as eating more carbs than supposed to will bring you out of ketosis very quickly and slow down your body’s fat burning capabilities.
Although there is big variety when it comes to foods that you can eat, you should be aware of things that are not suitable for the keto diet. Foods to avoid during the keto diet include starchy vegetables, grains, beans, any kind of low-fat products and fruits.
Lucky for you, Kill Cliff Ignite and Recover are keto-friendly as they are naturally-sweetened with stevia and erythritol, so you can enjoy our tasty drinks and say in ketosis.
How it differs from other diets?
Keto diet comes with a lot of benefits. Some are more related to physical conditions and others are strongly mental. Here are some ideas and benefits you can get out of the diet.
Fat loss – Despite the controversial term, one thing is clear: sticking to a ketogenic diet can be very effective for losing weight fairly quickly. While the ketogenic diet is excellent for fat loss – thanks to ketosis which is utilizing the stored fat as a primary energy source, there are many other benefits that may be even more drastic than losing weight fast already is.
Eliminating cravings – This probably one of the biggest reasons why people fell off the diet wagon(s), no matter what diet. In keto diet, you will be avoiding all the sugary foods thanks to what you don’t experience big spikes in blood sugar. The other part of the equation is that you will be mainly eating fatty foods which are very filling and satisfying.
Improved cognition – Some positive side effects of the keto diet are: increased memory, improved cognition, clarity, fewer migraines. Keto diet is known for its awesome effects on your memory and cognition. Scientists have discovered that it not only increases cognition but also enhances memory and it also has shown improvement at all stages of dementia. Being in ketosis will also result in more stable blood sugar.
Reduced appetite – Another big challenge, when it comes to following diets, is the fight with the hunger feeling. Unlike many other diets, during ketosis, when you are consuming fat as a primary source of energy, higher levels of a hormone called leptin is released. Leptin is an amazing hormone that helps to regulate your energy balance by restraining the hunger feeling.
First steps to get started with the keto diet
Eating bacon and losing fat sounds great? Are you ready to jump on the keto wagon? That’s awesome! Here are some tips to get you started right now!
- Prepare your mind and body – In order to take full advantage of the keto diet, it would be beneficial if you start thinking and planning your diet. Look over your everyday life, what foods do you usually eat, in what time, with whom and so on. If you would start following a diet, would you still want to eat out? Would you take your lunch with you? This is a vital factor, as you will have the ability to assess your current situation and plan out your weeks or months.
- First weeks will be tough – Be prepared mentally. No diet is easy when you start out. As with other diets, the keto diets have some so-called side-effects. I am talking about the keto flu, which affects most people during their first weeks. Symptoms often include fatigue, some headaches and feeling weak. To cope with that just drink plenty of water, bone broth and you will be in ketosis no time. A good solution to speed up the process is exogenous ketones, but I would suggest looking into that once you have experienced ketosis and have loosed some weight.
- Reduce your carbohydrate intake – This is the most vital part of the keto diet. Start slowly removing carbs from your daily intake. It will be harder than you think if you haven’t done that before. The goal is to lower your daily carb intake down to a maximum of 20 grams of carbs per day. In this way, you will be in ketosis probably during 7 days (this can vary between individuals and your eating habits).
- Get enough fats – Going low carb is just one part of the game. The second, an important part is to get enough high-quality fats, so you can get your body into a magical state called ketosis. Pick fatty cuts of meats, add coconut or olive oil and spice them up with full-fat mayonnaise. Eating fats will help you feel satisfied, full and happy. If you are feeling down, hungry or don’t see any results, then recheck if you have eaten enough fats to start with.
- Don’t forget to eat your veggies – It’s easy to focus only on protein and fats. One thing to remember is that leafy vegetables are nutrient-dense, low in carbs and perfect for your digestive system. So, make sure you combine your fats with vegetables.
As you can probably understand, the keto diet has lots of awesome benefits, not a merely fat loss. Although it’s very effective for fat loss. Keto diet is also so powerful because it is a sustainable way of eating, it can improve your mental state and at the end of the day is enjoyable.
Plus, you don't have to worry about giving up energy drinks or recovery drinks if you stick with Kill Cliff. Kill Cliff Ignite and Recover are both naturally sweetened and will allow you to stay in ketosis and stay hydrated!